Iakob Gogebashvili Telavi State University (TeSaU) is one of the oldest educational centers in Georgia. The University is the worthy successor of the century-old educational traditions of Ikalto Academy (XII Century), Telavi Philosophical and Theological Institutions (1758-1782), Theological Seminary (1782-1801), Theological School (1818-1918), Teachers’ Professional College (1924-1939), Teachers’ Professional Institute (1939-1951) and Pedagogical Institute (1951-1999).
Since 1940 the institution has been named after the great Georgian pedagogue and public figure Iakob Gogebashvili. On the 60th anniversary from its foundation, in 1999, it was awarded the status of State University. It is an autonomous State Higher Educational Institution. Teaching language here is native Georgian.
Getting education at the university is available through renewed programmes covering Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral cycles. The Institution covers vocational educational programmes as well.
Development path and achievements of Samtskhe-Javakheti State University have been created within 30 years of its establishment as a higher education institution. Students, graduates, employees and the community of the University are proud of the achievements and results that evolved as a result of the higher education foundation in Samtskhe-Javakheti region.
LEPL Samtskhe-Javakheti State University is a successor of the Akhaltsikhe Branch of Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University founded in Samtskhe-Javakheti as the first higher education institution in 1990. In 1991 ,,Independent University of Akhaltsikhe” was established on the basis of the existed branch which joined Akhaltsikhe Branch of Tbilisi State University as a paid educational department in 1995. In 2002 Akhaltsikhe Branch of Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University was named as Meskheti Branch of Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University.
Legal Entity of Public Law – Gori State Teaching University is a significant center for education and science in Shida Kartli. It was established as a result of merging two higher education institutions, LEPL – Gori State University and LEPL -Tskhinvali State University (Government Resolution #176, August 22, 2007).
In August of 1935 it was opened as a two-year teaching institute, being afterward in 1939 re-established as Gori State Pedagogical Institute with a four-year study program. The Institute was given the name of N. Baratashvili, a great Georgian poet. In 1985, as a result of reorganization of Gori N. Baratashvili State Pedagogical Institute, it was established as Gori State Economic Institute, and renamed again in 1997 as Gori State Economic-Humanitarian Institute. On 16th July of 1999, the mentioned institution received university status.